Page 1 of 2

The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 25, 2008 • 10:57 pm
by Joel
Not sure if i'm amongst fans here, but Francis Ford Copola recently completed a complete restoration of the Godfather trillogy. This will include enhanced 5.1 surround sound and restored picture quality, kind of like the Star Wars Special Edition trillogy without the added CGI. It's currently out on DVD and due for release soon on blu-ray. Anyone as excited as I am?

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 25, 2008 • 11:34 pm
by Bafitis
I thought they had already did a Remastered Edition with Scenes that were cut from the Originals...

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 26, 2008 • 12:24 am
by Vracar
Only for part one. Although I'd wonder how much there is to restore. For a film made in the seventies, how much is it benefiting from the new enhanced dvd's? Or even blu-ray for that matter. I question that for all of the older movies.

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 26, 2008 • 2:10 am
by Bafitis
Well on Classics like The Godfather, everyone who currently owns a Copy, I would say about 70% if not more will run out and buy the New Remastered Copy... So that is quite a sale profit for doing hardly any work...

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 26, 2008 • 7:51 am
by joliet_jane
Joel wrote:Not sure if i'm amongst fans here, but Francis Ford Copola recently completed a complete restoration of the Godfather trillogy. This will include enhanced 5.1 surround sound and restored picture quality, kind of like the Star Wars Special Edition trillogy without the added CGI. It's currently out on DVD and due for release soon on blu-ray. Anyone as excited as I am?
After I already bought the DVD boxed set? Man! :(

I guess I'll probably buy it anyway, since they're the best ever. Despite what the children on IMDB say. Plus, I can then maybe get hi-res pictures of Michael and Vito.

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 26, 2008 • 10:24 am
by Frank
Considering my brother went off with the boxset when he moved a few years ago, there is no more logic stopping me from getting this one!

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 26, 2008 • 12:59 pm
by rockefeller
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that movies originally shot on film will look a helluva lot better on BluRay than DVD regardless of when they were made since the 'resolution' of film is essentially higher than 1920x1080, which is the current HD standard ~ speaking of HD, anyone seen the late night infomercial for Hi-Def Sunglasses :lol:

Bests, Rockefeller 8)

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 26, 2008 • 2:27 pm
by freepizza
I have never seen any of them.

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 26, 2008 • 3:20 pm
by Bafitis
freepizza wrote:I have never seen any of them.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You've got to be kidding Free??? You gotta see 'em... Buy Them, Today, Now...

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 26, 2008 • 6:39 pm
by Jen
freepizza wrote:I have never seen any of them.
They are worth expanding your horizions for. :D At least a rental.

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 27, 2008 • 2:06 pm
by Jack Vanian
Damned, I bought the VHS box-set, then i bought one of the DVD Box sets and now i might need to go out and buy this one too. Not that it would be neccessary, but hey, its´s the godfather, i just can´t resist it.
After the tenth edition of a godfather boxset, Coppola will have made me a poor man.

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 27, 2008 • 5:44 pm
by Cubase
Blu-Ray?

-Cub. =o)

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 27, 2008 • 8:21 pm
by lotus_j
Yes, old movies look better on Blu-Ray. Film is closer to the "4k," format which it appears is about 2 to 3 years down the road.

New 4k tvs, and discs.

Joy.

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 27, 2008 • 9:39 pm
by Vracar
Show me a comparison between two frames and then I'll believe it. Or maybe I just don't notice the difference.

Re: The Godfather Trillogy Restoration.

Posted: August 27, 2008 • 10:19 pm
by freepizza
Yeah, I am all about the vast array of movie adventures, but for some reason I never got around to seeing any of these. For the moment I still have no interest.