Joel turns 500!

500 posts that is. When I returned to the community a few years back and promised it being an ongoing affair, I really did mean it and i'm glad I haven't broken it. There's certainly no plans to stop any of that now as I have every reason to stay. Firstly, and the most integral to the operation of this forum, are the members. I've been a member of a few forums where the novelty wears off after a month or so simply because you don't feel apart of the action or cannot relate to the people. But it's much different here. It's a small community which is what makes it work so well. This is why I don't really want the place to grow too much. I know that sounds a bit parochial, but it is indeed the size that sets this place apart from other forums.

Aside with the community is the potential for Tex Murphy to make his long awaited return which is becoming less than a case of if and more of a concern of when. I don't think there's really been a better time to be a part of the forums. It's an exciting time that has been filled with warmth. With or without a game, it's just great to be here. Three Cards was a tasty little treat to keep us going along the way though.

Finally, I just want to add in some special mentions. Please forgive me if I forget anyone as I am hopeless with names and I don't have a list before me. I promise, I have complete respect for everyone that posts here.

Cubase: the first and most local friend I ever made here. I think i've known you since I was 16 and the journey of us growing up has been pretty funny. You've also taught me a great deal about the gaming and film industry, not to mention your expertise in computing whenever i've needed it. Thanks heaps, man. Here's to another 500!

Jim the Old Guy: I consider you to be the Obiwan of the community. As per your name, Old, wise, mannered, informed and nothing short of supportive. You've been a member of these boards as long as I can remember. Forgive me if this sounds cheesy, but I will explain. Old though your name states, ironically, you're young at heart. I just can't get over how many films, music artists and games we both seem to enjoy. When there's that much of an age gap, there's usually an awkwardness. There doesn't seem to be an element of that here. Are you really as old as you say you are?

Bafitis: I haven't known you long but it's been interesting talking to you due to your quirky and quick sense of humour. You also have a way of explaining things where if you're head is about to explode, you somehow manage to make it sound all logical again. Keep up the good work.

Jen: you're another one that I haven't known long but once the Big Finish Forum opened and we got posting, we seemed to cross paths a lot. I especially enjoyed the Beavis and Butthead references in some of your posts. Huhuhuhuh...Tex is a private dick.

Lestat666: i've also noticed that we seem to share a fair bit in common when it comes to music and film. The movies thread that I started the other week seems to be testimony of that. Again, you're another member that i've only gotton to know recently.

Atomic vegetable: i've always wanted to know, who is that in your avatar?

Demonlawyer: as a Law student myself, I am looking up to you for the low down in dry humour, fine wine, french cuffs and London designer suits. I need your help here.

Freepizza: it's good to have you around. Your posts are down to earth, meaningful and have the correct lashings of humour needed to add to their lasting appeal.

Fred Buer: when I saw your avatar, for some reason I thought you were French. Was it the rose you were caressing, the romantic expression on your face? Who cares where you're from, you're cool!

James Le Mosy: I can't really sum up just how important you are to this community without sounding either cliche, predictable or just repetitive. All I can say is THANK YOU. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out why ;)

Aaron and Chris: as with James, all I can do is thank you for your undying support of this fanbase and your continued efforts to keep the dream alive. Never give up!!!


Again, I do apologise if I have missed anymore. If I have, I still consider you to be important as I have no beef with anyone here. Lets see where the next 500 takes me.
French my foot! You've got a beef now, mothertrucker!

Just kiddin'! :lol:

Seriously, though, call me french again, I'll shoot you full of croissants :P

A big congrats on the round number though! Keep posting! Your input is valued amongst us! :D

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
AHAHAAHAH, it's on! I call for a cook off at the Brew and Stew!
A cook off huh... Is this open or by invitation only... I've been wanting to try out Granny's Brain ~N~ Eggs recipe for quite sometime... :mrgreen:

Thank you for your kind words Joel... You are certainly a bright member of this community yourself and I look forward to your next 500 posts... :D
I'll tell ya I was worried about you when I had heard about those fires there and you hadn't posted for a few days...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...


Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Thanks, Baf :) Yes, the bushfires earlier this year was certainly an eerie and unpleasant period. One of the most powerful media portrayals of a disaster i've experienced since 9/11.
Joel mate!

I had a smile on my face the whole time reading that. Yes I do remember our interactions way back when. I think it even goes back to the ICQ days! Despite the fact that we spoke back then, it was not until the AG days (*shudder*) that you can I really began to keep in close contact. I have never forgotten your writing talents friend, nor the promises we made to one day work with eachother face to face!

Kudos friend! And yes, here's to another 500!

-Cub. =o)
ICQ? Now that is going back! Oh yes, a Cub/Joel project is a matter of when, folks, not if. Surely it would have to be TM related? Put it this way, think our collaboration has a brighter future in it than that of the AG legacy ahahah...good to see you're still around, buddy!
Nice work on 500 Joel. Keep em coming.

Also, I'm pretty sure Norway is a small city in France, so I don't know what Fred is getting upset about.
Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf
Just envision me getting blue in the face and my head exploding. That saves me a lot of typing.

:lol:

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
France??? And all this time I thought it was in Sweden... :shock:
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...


Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
=) I got an honourable mention =P

Wasn't expecting that when I started reading. Thanks.

And yea, we do seem to like a lot of the same things.

Except I am on the other side of the world =(

Too bad we didn't live closer. I've been kind of lacking in physical i can interact with you face to face friend department.

I got my wife, one guy at work, one from back home. OH well, there is always the boards =P

Congrats on post 500.
Matt
I found that out pretty quickly myself that there is a whole lot more here than just Tex Murphy...
Those that come in, post one or two things and then disappear, they may like Tex Murphy but they are a different breed than those that find a home here... Not trying to say their love for Tex is any less, just different...

Some of the members here are just a well of information as well... Wish I had been here with everyone from the start...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...


Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I personally observed for almost 2 years before posting.

Found the site back in its very beginnings back in 1998 close to when it started.

I think it was then... anyway, it got bookmarked and i didn't really start visiting it til 2005.

and didn't post til 2007.

I'll be a member for 2 years on August 19th.
Matt
I got a box from my parents one day about 3 years ago and it had some of my old games in it and I realized that I couldn't run Tex on XP, so I came looking around to see if anyone had a fix to make it run on XP and I found this site and Nilo's... And now I've been here since February of 2007... Granted I didn't come in too gracefully though, but I've grown in many ways thanks to the people here...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...


Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Glad to hear we could make people of ya :lol:

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!