Back To The Future Thread...
Posted: November 14, 2010 • 5:14 pm
Okay a discussion was developing in the Movie Thread and instead of taking that over, I figured we could just talk about it in here and leave the Movie Thread for what it is... Below are the Posts already made in the discussion...
So with his knowledge and not being under time pressure from being killed in a few days, I don't see it completely inconceivable that he couldn't do it... The fact that it Flies tells me that he went into the Future before going back to 1985 though... Because I don't care how intelligent the Doc was, I don't think he would have been able to re-create the Hover Technology... But the Flux-Capacitor, which is what makes time travel possible, he created it once, and since we don't really know what it takes to create the Flux-Capacitor he could have done it...
But yes it would be nice to know exactly how he turned the train into another time machine...
Also let me throw this at you... The Doc went back to 1885 in the Time Machine... He put it in an old Mine where Marty and the 1955 Doc fixed it and used it... BUT, Wouldn't the Time Machine that the Doc went back to 1885 still be there when Marty got there???
So my guess would be that the Doc Salvaged the other Time Machine, but decided to turn it into a Train instead... hmmm??? Your Thoughts???
Now some might argue, but if the Doc uses that Time Machine then it won't be there for Marty to use, Yes I would think the same thing, but what Marty already did is now in the Doc's Past, so taking the Time Machine would not affect Marty having come and saving his life...
This is where the problem comes in with Time Travel... I mean think about home Many Time Machines we could end up with in just a few minutes time... Take the time machine and go 10 minutes into the past, just before you left and Boom now there are 2 time machines, do it again now you have 3, and next thing you know you have a fleet of Time Machines...
So you see it would be possible for the Doc to Salvage the Time Machine and not have to worry about any consequences...
Joel wrote:Just finished re-visiting the Back to the Future trilogy: unbelievable in the way that it is just as thrilling as it was the first time around - no exaggeration. I especially refer to the epic final sequence in 1885 involving the train and the delorian. I knew exactly what was going to happen, but was just as excited. I'm not sure what it is, but the fact that there is minimal reliance on CGI might add to it.
sam10100 wrote:After rewatching the trilogy one big glaring plot hole stands out to me.
P1
The Doc built the time machine in 1985. Okay I'll buy that.
P2
The Doc had to fix the time machine using parts from 1955. These parts were very large in comparison to the microchip that came from 1985. Okay that makes sense.
P3
The Doc is stuck in 1885 with Clara after he sends Marty home. How in the heck did he get/make the parts for a new time machine to meet up with Marty? He was complaining that he couldn't even make gasoline for the Delorean in 1885. The level of tech in 1885 would have made it very hard for him to build a new machine. I would have expected it to take decades for him to await the invention of decent tech or even if he had to invent the tech himself.
It did take him some years to build, because when he met up with Marty he had 2 sons... Now sure how old they were though, certainly not decades though...Jim the old guy wrote:Hmmm. Really good question, Sam. I would venture two guesses:
1. The Doc is a genius creator and those types never let e little thing like unavailable parts and fuel get in their way. Remember, he made those explosive logs for the train in just a short period of time.
2. He had that hover-board from the future. Perhaps there were items he could expand and/or use to create new fangled gadgets (OK, poor choice of words) and adapt them to a train engine. Keep in mind this: even tho' he arrived shortly after Marty returned, he had several years to work on his machine, long enough to get married and have two children.
Possibilities, that's all. I'm sure there are others here who could present a more in depth postulation.
So with his knowledge and not being under time pressure from being killed in a few days, I don't see it completely inconceivable that he couldn't do it... The fact that it Flies tells me that he went into the Future before going back to 1985 though... Because I don't care how intelligent the Doc was, I don't think he would have been able to re-create the Hover Technology... But the Flux-Capacitor, which is what makes time travel possible, he created it once, and since we don't really know what it takes to create the Flux-Capacitor he could have done it...
But yes it would be nice to know exactly how he turned the train into another time machine...
Also let me throw this at you... The Doc went back to 1885 in the Time Machine... He put it in an old Mine where Marty and the 1955 Doc fixed it and used it... BUT, Wouldn't the Time Machine that the Doc went back to 1885 still be there when Marty got there???
So my guess would be that the Doc Salvaged the other Time Machine, but decided to turn it into a Train instead... hmmm??? Your Thoughts???
Now some might argue, but if the Doc uses that Time Machine then it won't be there for Marty to use, Yes I would think the same thing, but what Marty already did is now in the Doc's Past, so taking the Time Machine would not affect Marty having come and saving his life...
This is where the problem comes in with Time Travel... I mean think about home Many Time Machines we could end up with in just a few minutes time... Take the time machine and go 10 minutes into the past, just before you left and Boom now there are 2 time machines, do it again now you have 3, and next thing you know you have a fleet of Time Machines...
So you see it would be possible for the Doc to Salvage the Time Machine and not have to worry about any consequences...